Initial setup doesn't connect wtih FC3

After fighting with udev for a while I managed to get /dev/pilot with the appropriate permissions created when I hit the hotsync button on my Kyocera 7135 smartphone.

When I try to use Preferences->More Preferences->PalmOS Devices (gpilot-control-applet) it starts with a configuration screens.

Cradle Settings
Name: Cradle
Port: /dev/pilot
Speed 9600 (just to be safe, I'll try higher speeds later)
Type: USB

Pilot Identification
"Yes, I've used sync software with this pilot before" is checked.

I hit the hotsync button and forward on the dialog. Nothing happens until the phone times out.

The command line pilot-link apps work.

What do I try next?

TIA

--