syncing over USB

I experience the same trouble that others have syncing over USB.  I
know from experience that the work-around is to open the Pilot
Settings applet, edit the device setting for the USB, make sure it's
set to "serial", then hit the sync button on the cradle, then hit "OK"
to close the dialog and applet.  However, when I do that, I get a
message "Read/Write permissions failed on USB cradle
(/dev/usb/tts/1)".  However,

$ ls -l /dev/usb/tts/1
  crw-rw----  1 root uucp 188, 1 Dec 31  1969 /dev/usb/tts/1

and

 $ groups
... uucp users ...

In other words, I should have permission as a member of uucp group to
read from and to write to /dev/usb/tts/1.

Can anybody tell me why I can't set the device settings and sync over USB?

--
Larry Siden
http://umich.edu/~lsiden/