Re: Quest for Treo 650

Hi Nigel

> Has the visor driver loaded?

Yes.

> You should see something like this in the dmesg output (or logged on
> into syslog):-
>   usb 2-1.4: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB0
>   usb 2-1.4: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB1

I do see that or something like that (can't test now). But I think it
does indeed say ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1.

> > pilot-xfer won't find it (udev creates /dev/ttsUSB1 and 2, permissions
> > correct). That might be due to bugs in the PalmOS (same as T5 I think).
>
> So what are you pointing palm-xfer to?

Sorry, typo in my mail. It's /dev/tts/USB1, which gets created by udev
on pressing hotsync-button on Treo. /dev/tts/USB2 also gets created.
Sometimes it instead creates /dev/tts/USB3 and /dev/tts/USB4.

> BTW /dev/ttyUSB1 & /dev/ttyUSB2 is a bit unusual unless you already have
> a USB serial port in place for something (I would expected  /dev/ttyUSB0
> & /dev/ttyUSB1 like my example above), however assuming your devices are
> right you want to connect to the second registered device /dev/ttyUSB2
> (make sure you have paused or stopped gnome-pilot first - right click on
> the applet - otherwise they will fight for the device):-
>
>   pilot-xfer  -p /dev/ttyUSB2 -l

If that is indeed the problem (that I tried to connect to /dev/tts/USB1
instead of /dev/ttyUSB1), I'll seriously try biting my sorry ass. Cost
me ten hours that stupid error. I'll try it tonight, when I'm home (half
an hour to lunch here and now).

> Theres a couple of HOWTOs on this, but I have never tried it myself
> (although I have IP connectivity over bluetooth).  I'm told bluetooth
> syncing is really slow.
>   http://howto.pilot-link.org/bluesync/
>   http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8185

I know the howtos and got everything working accordingly - except
gnome-pilot which won't be bothered to see the Treo. I had syncs with
pilot-xfer, kpilot and jpilot, but I want to use evolution and thus need
gnome-pilot (kpilot doesn't sync the evolution contacts and it keeps
crashing on me).

> BTW its a Treo 650 I'm using so they do work with gnome-pilot.

So there is hope. I'll try again tonight. Linux syncability was the main
reason I bought that gadget.

  Thanks a lot

    Thorsten