Re: Quest for Treo 650

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 01:55 +0200, Thorsten Roggendorf wrote:
> I put the Treo 650 in /usr/share/gnome-pilot/devices.xml - replacing
> another device with the same (???) ID:
>  <!-- PalmOne Treo 650 -->
>  <device vendor_id="0830" product_id="0061" />

I guess thats the Zire 31 which I'm told has the same ID (bloody silly
idea).  If the ID pair are in the file theres no need to change it - all
you have done is change the comment attached.

> I first tried USB with the visio driver. The Treo shows up in usbview
> when connecting (i.e. trying hotsync from Treo), but that's it.

Has the visor driver loaded?

You should see something like this in the dmesg output (or logged on
into syslog):-
  usb 2-1.4: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 5
  drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
  usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
  usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
  drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core v2.0
  drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Handspring Visor / Palm OS
  drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Sony Clie 3.5
  drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Sony Clie 5.0
  visor 2-1.4:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter detected
  usb 2-1.4: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB0
  usb 2-1.4: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB1
  usbcore: registered new driver visor
  drivers/usb/serial/visor.c: USB HandSpring Visor / Palm OS driver v2.1

> pilot-xfer won't find it (udev creates /dev/ttsUSB1 and 2, permissions
> correct). That might be due to bugs in the PalmOS (same as T5 I think).

So what are you pointing palm-xfer to?

BTW /dev/ttyUSB1 & /dev/ttyUSB2 is a bit unusual unless you already have
a USB serial port in place for something (I would expected  /dev/ttyUSB0
& /dev/ttyUSB1 like my example above), however assuming your devices are
right you want to connect to the second registered device /dev/ttyUSB2
(make sure you have paused or stopped gnome-pilot first - right click on
the applet - otherwise they will fight for the device):-

  pilot-xfer  -p /dev/ttyUSB2 -l

That should work.  If not then its got to be a permissions problem.
Obviously you need to set the gnome-pilot device correctly, or fudge
udev:-
 KERNEL="ttyUSB1", SYSFS{product}="Palm Handheld", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="pilot"

(rules line I use on FC3 with Palm device as ttyUSB0/1)

> Then bluetooth. I got to the point of having a sync with pilot-xfer,
> jpilot and kpilot. But no luck with gnome-pilot. I read that there is a
> netsync patch in existence. But I also read (in another post on this
> list) that it probably breaks bluetooth syncing in favor of "real"
> network syncing.

Theres a couple of HOWTOs on this, but I have never tried it myself
(although I have IP connectivity over bluetooth).  I'm told bluetooth
syncing is really slow.
  http://howto.pilot-link.org/bluesync/
  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8185

BTW its a Treo 650 I'm using so they do work with gnome-pilot.

	Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham           Nigel Metheringham InTechnology co uk ]