Initial Sync Problem With SuSE 9.1

I am running SuSE 9.1 Pro with all YOU updates applied, no non-SuSE rpms
installed, and no non-supported SuSE rpms installed except Samba-3.0.7.

I have a Palm Zire31 which syncs half reliably under Kmail with KPilot. I find
I must load the visor module manually, so that I can specify the make/model
numbers correctly.

I'm looking for increased reliability, so I wanted to test gnome-pilot.

I launch Evolution, choose Tools > Pilot Settings, and the "Welcome to
gnome-pilot!" wizard appears. I configure the wizard
choosing /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 as the USB port, and also select that this Palm has
been sync'd before. When I get to the window that asks me to press the
HotSync button on the Palm, so that gnome-pilot can retrieve the username and
ID, gnome-pilot does nothing (I've pressed the hot sync button, of course),
and the "Foreward" button remains greyed out.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Mark
A Message From...  L. Mark Stone