Re: Problem synching Handspring Treo 180g over USB

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 23:28, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> Thomas Maeder wrote:
> > So, if I knew what needs to be patched for preventing the workstation
> > from freezing after each sync, I might be able to compile a usable
> > kernel. Can somebody tell me what's needed?
>
> I have seen this happen occaisionally to very often with several
> versions of the kernel above 2.4.18.  A different build of the same
> kernel tree may behave better or worse than another build.  It appears
> to me to be a race condition on the open of the USB tty device but quite
> whats causing it I don't know.  I do not know of any kernel patch that
> actually fixes it.... the last kernel set I used (2.4.21-rc8 + ac) never
> showed the problem in the few weeks I used it, the current (2.4.21
> laptop build - see sourceforge) has shown it one in 50 hotsyncs (rough
> estimate).  Another kernel (on different hardware to that I now use)
> would hit one sync in 2.

I just want to say I am also experiencing the same problem. I cannot
figure out what is happening exactly since 1/3 times it works well and
the other times it does not I get a hard crash.  I am also using
Handspring visor, debian, kernel 2.4.20. I was going to upgrade to
2.4.21 but no more.