Issue setting up Sync with Handspring Visor Deluxe

I seem to be having the same issue setting up a hotsync with the Handspring Visor Deluxe (USB Cradle) as everybody else does...unfortunately, I've tried everything that I've been able to from both an archive search here in the list & from a Usenet search over on google.  So please forgive the redundant question...but is there a recipe for getting this to work?

I'm using RH 8.0, kernel 2.4.18-14.  I have USB support enabled.  I've tried switching my cable from one USB port on my puter to the other, I've got the symbolic link of /dev/pilot->/dev/ttyUSB1 set up, I've tried directly addressing the port through both /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1...and nothing.

When I start gnome-pilot & hit the hotsync button, I get the following in /var/log/messages:

Feb 11 23:06:33 diamond kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 8
Feb 11 23:06:33 diamond kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter detected
Feb 11 23:06:33 diamond kernel: visor.c: Handspring Visor: Number of ports: 2
Feb 11 23:06:33 diamond kernel: visor.c: Handspring Visor: port 1, is for Generic use and is bound to ttyUSB0
Feb 11 23:06:33 diamond kernel: visor.c: Handspring Visor: port 2, is for HotSync use and is bound to ttyUSB1
Feb 11 23:06:33 diamond kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
Feb 11 23:06:33 diamond kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)
Feb 11 23:06:37 diamond /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup visor for USB product 82d/100/100
Feb 11 23:07:26 diamond kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 8
Feb 11 23:07:26 diamond kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
Feb 11 23:07:26 diamond kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1

...I've even tried hitting the hotsync button, *then* starting up the gnome-pilot tool to configure on the theory that it might need to load the drivers first.

Help?  I'm the president & chief computer geek of the company I own, and this is the primary issue that's keeping me from switching my company systems 100% over to RH from Windows.

Any assistance or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks -- Doug