Re: Sony Clie with USB sync

Hi Daniel,

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 18:01, Daniel Brodie wrote:
> I do have a simmilar problem with pilot-xfer etc... so this problem
> appears to not be limited to gnome-pilot.

I had problems there to, I have to open the /var/log/messages and wait
until the first few lines of the connect-message appear. then I hit
enter to confirm the pre-entered pilot-xfer command in another term and
then it connects. I had some help on this list regarding this problem
and I can live with it now, but it's not totally okay yet.

> I have also tried specifying USB instead of serial but it dosn't work.
> (gives me a gtk error about not being able to open display)
>
> before I get it to work with the palm I have to do modprobe visor. I
> have no idea how to enable it in modules.conf though (need to read
> through the man page ;) )

I have the visor.o running all the time, but don't ask me how I managed
to start it up. Maybe this helps, it's the notes i took when bringing
the stuff to work:

...make pilot-link work:

1. get pilot-link and gnome-pilot latest!!!

2. untar both in /devel/pilot

3. go into /devel/pilot/pilot-link

4. pilot-link should be installed in /usr/local ( prefix=/usr/local), so
you don t screw up any distro-dependant install of pilot-link in /usr.

5. do #> ./configure -prefix=/usr/local

6. satisfy all deps on libs * install various packages: * long list,
complete it next time   libpanel-applet-dev

7. remove pilot-link folder after each failed configure / build, unpack
it again and do a new configure as above until it is compiled.

8. #> make install as root to install new pilot-link tools

9. check (locate) all pilot-xfer and check versions; remove old versions
and set links to new version

10. make sure usb is complete and working kernel should have: usb, uhci,
usbserial, usbmouse, hid, usbcore, usbdevfs, visor at least

11. modprobing visor and check with lsmod for at least: uhci, usbcore,
usbserial, visor

12. make usbdevfs available: in /etc/fstab:
none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

13. check /var/log/messages when connecting/pressing hotsync whether
clie connects

14. set permissions to 777 on /dev/ttyUSB1

15. use pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -l to check for connection at all.
Won t work if uhci is not loaded though visor loads without it. Check
for uhci!!!!

16. if connection works with pilot-xfer proceed with gpilotd-stuff

17. configure gnome-pilot as above (delete and reconfigure after each
failed try) use this:
./configure -prefix=/usr -with-pisock=/usr/local

18. make

19. if compile worked: as root
make install

20. killall gpilotd

21. modprobe visor and other usb-stuff

22. go to gnome control center

23. in pilot-stuff  set up the clie-usb-port to /dev/ttyUSB1, as USB
with high timeout

24. exit the controlcenter

25. on console killall gpilotd

26. run gpilotd without args. should state to listen on /dev/ttyUSB1
with no pilots configured

27. killall gpilotd again

28. controlcenter, pilot-settings

29. add a pilot, connect it but don t press hotsync

30. select get id from pilot

31. it now asks you to connect the pilot and press hotsync

32. doing so should bring the ID and Username

33. set all directories as needed (/home/fungata/MyFiles/....)

34. exit control center

35. add pilot-applet to gnome-bar

36. select restart deamon from applet menu

37. press hotsync while watching /var/log/messages

38. if hotsync worked, return to gnome control center and set up
conduits

39. make sure all directories for the different conduits exist BEFORE
setting the conduits to point to them, else the setup may crash

40. launch evolution and run a hotsync. should work.

Puh. This was what I noted when I brought my SJ30 to talk to Evo. Maybe
it helps.

Good Luck

Lars