Syncing Visor with Linux and gpilotd

I've been using Linux for some time and syncing my Visor with a Windows
system  for some time as well.  However, I would like to get my Visor to
sync with my Linux workstation...

I've been working on this for a couple of days.....  I've tried
maaaaannnnyyy different combinations of packages/programs/prayers, but
I'm having great difficulty in getting my Visor to consistantly sync
with my Linux workstation (running RH 7.3 -- kernel 2.4.7-10).

I use Evolution as my mail program but KDE 3 as my desktop. I also see
in the RH source package documentation directory there is a file called
'usb-serial.txt'.  It contains the following paragraph:

  NOTE:
    This means that in order to talk to the Visor, the sync button must
    be pressed BEFORE trying to get any program to communicate to the
    Visor. This goes against the current documentation for pilot-xfer
    and other packages, but is the only way that it will work due to the
    hardware in the Visor.

All right, I'm past that.  I've verified this.  All packages (coldsync,
pilot-xfer, etc.) all need to have the sync button pushed first before
the application starts in order for the software to communicate with the
device.

Where am I going?  Two questions:

1. When I start gpilotd manually (after pushing the sync button), the
sync hangs at:

gpilotd-Message: gnome-pilot 0.1.65 starting...
gpilotd-Message: compiled for pilot-link version 0.9.5
gpilotd-Message: compiled with [VFS] [GOAD] [USB] [IrDA] [Network]
gpilotd-Message: Activating CORBA server
gpilotd-Message: Watching Cradle (/dev/ttyUSB1)
gpilotd-Message: setting PILOTRATE=57600
gpilotd-Message: Cradle Cradle has 0 events
gpilotd-Message: Instantiating 4 conduits...
eaddrconduit-Message: in address's conduit_get_gpilot_conduit

ecalconduit-Message: in calendar's conduit_get_gpilot_conduit

etodoconduit-Message: in todo's conduit_get_gpilot_conduit

gpilotd-Message: Instantiated 1 backup conduits, 0 file conduits, 3
other conduits
gpilotd-Message: HotSync button pressed, synchronizing pilot
gpilotd-Message: Pilot ID is 1077, name is MyPilot, owner is Russell
Loucks

....hangs here

The Visor connection fails.....  What can I do to debug this?

2.  How can I get 'gpilotd' to use the new pilot-link-0.11 version?  Do
I need to?

Thanks for any help....

Russ Loucks
mailto: rjl mm com