Re: Re Re: gpilotd not working stable with my Clie SJ30

Hi,
as you can see below I did all you suggested:
recompiled everything, ensured that the right versions are in place
after that, tried USB again and again. plz. see below....

On Mon, 2002-12-30 at 16:46, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> 	Are you using gnome-pilot 0.71 and pilot-link 0.11.6?
YES AND YES. but I recompile both from scratch this minute as you stated
below.

> 	These should ideally be configured as follows:
>
> 	pilot-link should be installed in /usr/local (--prefix=/usr/local),
> so you don't screw up any distro-dependant install of pilot-link in /usr.

Done so.It is in /usr/local/bin and is v.0.11.6

> 	gnome-pilot should be installed in /usr (--prefix=/usr) but you have
> to make sure to tell it to find your shiny-new pilot-link 0.11.6 install in
> /usr/local by using the --with-pisock=/usr/local argument to configure.

Done so. still getting this:
---
fungata romanic:~> gpilotd
gpilotd-Message: gnome-pilot 0.1.71 starting...
gpilotd-Message: compiled for pilot-link version ..
<<<                                           ^^^^^^^^ >>>
gpilotd-Message: compiled with [VFS] [USB] [IrDA] [Network]
gpilotd-Message: Activating CORBA server
gpilotd-Message: Watching ClieUSB (/dev/pilot)
gpilotd-Message: Watching ClieIRDA (/dev/ircomm0)
gpilotd-Message: Exiting (caught SIGINT)...
---
I was abled to sync now ONE TIME with gpilotd. Tried 30 seconds after
that again and got:
---
fungata romanic:~/myfiles/Clie/Install> gpilotd
gpilotd-Message: gnome-pilot 0.1.71 starting...
gpilotd-Message: compiled for pilot-link version ..
gpilotd-Message: compiled with [VFS] [USB] [IrDA] [Network]
gpilotd-Message: Activating CORBA server
gpilotd-Message: Watching ClieUSB (/dev/pilot)
gpilotd-Message: Watching ClieIRDA (/dev/ircomm0)
gpilotd-Message: setting PILOTRATE=57600

gpilotd-WARNING **: pi_accept_to: Connection timed out

gpilotd-WARNING **: pi_accept_to: timeout was 60 secs
gpilotd-Message: Exiting (caught SIGINT)...
----
So still unstable via USB I fear. Now as I wrote these lines and left
the clie unatended, the third try was again successful. Maybe its
something with the Clie itself? Has the hotsync-port on the device to
reset itself? Some electronic parts that have to discharge before
hotsyncing again? anything like that possible???

> 	This all should work, assuming you have the right bits installed,
> configured, and set up for your particular device. I've never run hotplug
> (and I never will), but maybe that is screwing you up? Have you tried
> disabling it?
Sorry, but what do you mean by "disable hotpluging"? Compile the
USB-Stuff and IRDA-Stuff fixed into Kernel?

> Does pilot-link (pilot-xfer, dlpsh) work against your Palm
> device over USB?
No, not in a reliable way. Sometimes I got pilot-xfer to connect if I
started the command in the right moment by chance, somewhen just before
the syslog gives the completion of module insertion. That's why I
guessed it was a timing problem.
After recompiling everything it is still the same. Sometimes I can -xfer
a file ten times after another and then it fails.

> You have to make sure to kill off gpilotd before testing
> with pilot-xfer or dlpsh of course, because they both will collide trying to
> talk to the same device on the same port.
of course. killed it before each try.

> > Dec 30 16:15:45 romanic kernel: Assertion failed!
> > irtty.c:irtty_write_wakeup:705 self->magic == IRTTY_MAGIC
> > <<< What tells me this line ?? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ >>>
>
> 	You should only be using irda, ircomm, ircomm-tty now. I should
> update my HOWTO when I get a few minutes, and rewrite it for these newer
> devices and different modules in 2.4.21 and newer kernels.

Okay, so I altered your script a little. Now only loads
	modprobe irda
	insmod ircomm
	insmod ircomm-tty
then does
	irattach /dev/ttyS1 -s

and nothing else. Is that what you mean?

L.