GnomePilot problems

I've been trying to get GnomePilot running out of cvs on my Debian
system, and I've run into a couple problems I find rather confusing.
 Firstly, last week , I was able to get GnomePilot to compile and
install, and then I ran into some problems (more on those later).
Then, a few days later, I did a cvs update, and had upgraded my
Debian packages (including, I beleive, pilot-link) in the interum.
Now, when I run autogen.sh, everything goes well until:
 checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... yes
 checking for pi-version.h... (cached) no
 checking for libpisock/pi-version.h... (cached) yes
 checking for pi_accept in -lpisock... (cached) yes
 checking for pilot-link version >= 0.9.3... configure: error:
pilot-link 0.9.3 required

but:
 $ pilot-xfer --version
 This is pilot-xfer, from pilot-link version 0.9.4.
 $ cat /usr/include/libpisock/pi-version.h
 #ifndef _PILOT_VERSION_H_
 #define _PILOT_VERSION_H_

 #define PILOT_LINK_VERSION 0
 #define PILOT_LINK_MAJOR 9
 #define PILOT_LINK_MINOR 4

 /*  If releasing a version without a patch number, make sure
  *  that this is *NOT* defined.
  */
 /*#define PILOT_LINK_PATCH "something"*/

 #endif /* _PILOT_VERSION_H_ */
So, this seems strange, and I haven't nearly the experience with
autoconf stuff to fix this, or even figure out how's its screwing up
very well.

Now, the once I did manage to get GnomePilot compiled and installed,
I ran into some other problems.  Namely, if I ran gnomecc and tried
to click on any of the pilot related stuff, I was told that there
was no gpilotd running.  However, if I tried to start gpilotd from
the command line I would get an error telling me that no pilots were
configured, and that I should set them up using gnomecc.  What am I
doing wrong?

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.  I would love
to get this stuff up and running so that I can get more involved in
the project.  Thanks very much.

----
"Punch it Chewey!"
  - Han