memo double with each sync

My pilot looses charge sometimes and I have to reinstall everything.
When I set the memos up this time, it shows one copy on the pilot and
one copy plus one copy 2 in the pilotMemos directory.

I'm running rh6.1 with latest rpms.  I have tried various ways to see
what's going on but no luck (i.e. with an empty pilot memo and empty
dir, it does delete all the memos)
1.  if I create just one memo on pilot, it makes two in pilotMemos.
when sync, it creates the additional one on the pilot and two more in
the dir.
2.  if I create one memo in pilotMemos, it creates one on pilot.
after sync, it creates two in pilotMemos and so on...

If anyone can provide any insight, that would be nice.
Thankyou,
Chuck