Re: AvantGo

Eskil Heyn Olsen writes:
 > On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Vadim Strizhevsky wrote:
 >
 > >  > wont be doing any gnomecard work till I get my act together and finish the
 > >  > gnomecal conduit, since this also includes the todo conduit.
 > > Well, perhaps I'll see if I can cook something up. If I find some time....
 >
 > Danger Will Robinson, that IDL has a lot of structures. And on the
 > gnome-calendar list, they still mumble about killing the entire package
 > and make a new bonobo based one.
 >
 > Under any circumstances, using the IDL from gnomecal would probably be
 > preferrable, since you could then reuse much of the gnomecal conduit, plus
 > implementing the CORBA services in gnomecard would most likely be easier.
 >
 > But that is also something that the gnome-calendard people should accept.

I think you misunderstood my intentions. They are not that grand. :)
I'm in no mood at this point of time to modify gnomecard, or to get
seriously involved in gnome-pim. I'll leave that to someone else,
probably more qualified too.

But we still have this gaping hole for Address conduit. I don't know
when gnomecard replacement will come, but I don't see it happening in
next 2-3 month (please prove me wrong.) So what I propose is a very
temporary, throw-away, stop-gap conduit that simply reads/writes .gcrd
file that is compatible with current gnomecard. Yes this is flawed,
yes it has problems of not allowing to run at the same time as
gnomecard, but it is simple and it should work. We can use this until
the replacement comes and we can do it right. I started looking at it
last night, and its pretty simple. With judicious reuse of gnomecard
code, I hope to have something over next weekend. Let me know
if you have serious objections over this path. Or and I guess, it will
need to be included in gnome-pim.

 > >  > That was also my idea. Basically, it should be possible to wrap it inside
 > >  > a custom conduit within 48 hours. I almost think the hardest part is
 > > Right. That would be pretty cool. Why not just signup for Avantgo account?
 >
 > Is it free ? If it, I would probably prefer to let someone with an account
 > make the port or set up a test server.

Yes it is free, and no hussle at all. I got it setup and tested out the
malsync on a few channels within 10 minutes, few days back.

-Vadim