Re: gpilotd questions...

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998 jrb@redhat.com wrote:

> (hopefully this email will reach the mailing list ok...)
>
> I'm working on improving the gpilotd capplet before trying my hand at
> conduit writing.  I had a couple of questions about gpilotd.
>
> 1) It appears that giplotd will default the SyncPCid to 0 if it
> doesn't exist already.  This seems sort of unfortunate, as it seems
> that a random number would be more useful.  The Windows PilotSync
> program seems to do this, although it's range of number seem to be
> somewhat restricted (to less then 0xffff, with 3 data points.)  Would
> anyone mind if I changed this to be more Random?  Does anyone else
> have any information?

Using a random number for the default would be much better, so go ahead
and add this.

> 2) I would like to write a little wizard-style configurator for the
> pilot.  To do this, I'd like to use the [g/s]et_user_info calls to
> gpilotd.  A quick look in gnome-pilot/drafts/idl/orbit-daemon-glue.c
> shows that the CORBA interface is quite a bit lacking.  Is this being
> actively developed?  Will this be the correct mechanism in the future?

Eskil is currently working on the corba stuff in a separate branch.  I
cannot remember the branch tag off hand.  I have been giving some of the
administrative CORBA interface things some thought and they may have to
change but I think it is better to have an implementation first then make
the tweaks/changes we need to make it better.

> 3) Also, I'd like to allow people to configure their conduits in the
> configuration tool.  The run_configuration_manager call that each
> conduit (might?) add should be sufficient for this, but just because
> I'm curious, what needs configuring?  The windows version lets you set
> four things: (Sycronize, Desktop overwrites Pilot, Pilot overwrites
> Desktop, and disabled).  Is other info needed?

Configuration of conduits is really conduit specific.  Most won't need too
much configuration, and the stuff they do need will be shared.  We have
removed the run_configuration_manager call in favor of .desktop files in
some directory.  Note that if you write a conduit config tool, please make
it extensible to support more than one pilot per user.  The common config
sections in the various conduits could be implemented as a widget that we
add to a library so every conduit has a similar look and feel.

> Thanks in advance,
> -Jonathan

I am quite tired now, so if my answer doesn't make sense please ask more
questions.

Manish Vachharajani               Some Haiku: A crash reduces
<mvachhar@vger.rutgers.edu>                   your expensive computer
                                              to a simple stone - Unknown