Re: Moving to a more distro/host agnostic setup for the canonical spec files.

Em Sex, 2003-01-10 ās 10:14, Yanko Kaneti escreveu:
> On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 12:28, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> > I think that being rpm-oriented may not be a good policy.
>
> If having a spec file means rpm-oriented then we've been rpm-oriented
> for quite some time now. My post was defintely not about changin that
> but rather making the current spec setup more general.

And that is what I am talking about. I think gnome should not stick to
any distro or packaging format. (I think I agreed with you, in part)

> > One reason is that the rpm specification does not include all the
> > features that other packaging systems do. i.e. debian.
>
> I am not aware of any fundemental problems with rpm that make it less
> suitable than other solutions. After all LSB is rpm based.

Well, i think the flamewar deb x rpm is not the case here. After all LSB
is not consensual.

> > The question is. Why not using simple tar.gz in the gnome distribution
> > and each distro has one package manager (since the debian package
> > manager will not be the same guy that  build the rpm package)
>
> We already have that, sort of. My idea is that we could do a tad better
> and make the lives of the people that build things themselves a bit
> easier. In addition to streamlining the process and avoiding duplication
> whenever possible. Nowdays everyone and his brother maintain spec
> repositories with each having its own set of silly gimmicks.

I think the distributions are responsible for packaging the software in
their format. This means that gnome packages won't define much as a
gnome package, since gnome is not a distro.

But the gnome software are splitted into packages (and that is not rpm
or deb). A gnome package is a piece of software. So, what standards we
should apply to gnome packages? Here is an example list (a proposal).
 - The use of tar.gz for source distribution
 - gnome packages are in source format. Binary formats are
responsability of linux distros.
 - The gnome packages should follow FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy Standards)
 - Dependencies should be documented in some generic format (to be used
by distro packagers)
 - Well, this is just a example list

And this policies should not include definitions for rpmmacros, since
this is distro specific.