Re: Moving to a more distro/host agnostic setup for the canonical spec files.

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 12:28, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> I think that being rpm-oriented may not be a good policy.

If having a spec file means rpm-oriented then we've been rpm-oriented
for quite some time now. My post was defintely not about changin that
but rather making the current spec setup more general.

> One reason is that the rpm specification does not include all the
> features that other packaging systems do. i.e. debian.

I am not aware of any fundemental problems with rpm that make it less
suitable than other solutions. After all LSB is rpm based.

> The question is. Why not using simple tar.gz in the gnome distribution
> and each distro has one package manager (since the debian package
> manager will not be the same guy that  build the rpm package)

We already have that, sort of. My idea is that we could do a tad better
and make the lives of the people that build things themselves a bit
easier. In addition to streamlining the process and avoiding duplication
whenever possible. Nowdays everyone and his brother maintain spec
repositories with each having its own set of silly gimmicks.

As a convenient place for package metadata I dont think that anything
current beats a spec file included with the one and only authorative
tarball.
(well... apart from a src.rpm  but it says "rpm" in the name...people
start to get religious....)