Re: [Breakage!] Red Hat packaging

On further trying, the same is true for libglade (ps, no -devel?).

Also, gnome-vfs.

And if you do do rpm -ivh gnome-vfs-1.9.4, it has a file conflict with /usr/share/man/man5/gnome-vfs-mime.5.gz

gnome-vfs-devel, ofcource has to be -Uvh'd again.

It might be smart to take a cue / clue from redhat (rawhide or gnomehide) here, and rename all those conflicting libraries to ....2 ? (GConf2, gnome-vfs2, libglade2, etc).

This would save us, and all users willing to try these packages out, a LOT of headaches.

Another problem that will occur btw, in this '-ivh base lib and posibly -Uvh devel lib), is that users will not be able to compile gnome 1.x apps anymore... which kinda ruins the whole parallel gnome 1 / 2 setup that people are aiming for.

Chris Chabot wrote:

Looking at these rpm's. Don't they seem potentialy very dangerous for the average user with gnome 1.4 installed, and has no advanced knowledge?

Forinstance, you have to rpm -ivh GConf-1.1.6, however you need to rpm -Uvh GConf-devel-1.1.6.
(or rpm -e GConf-devel, and rpm -ivh both).

Not doing so, removes libgconf-1.so.1, which in turn breaks gnome-vfs, nautilus, gthumb, control-center, galeon, eel, bonobo-conf, etc etc ...

The same is true for a few other packages... I am just very much afraid an beginning user will do a

   rpm -[U | i]vh *.rpm --force

And end up with a severely broken (non functioning) system! (and as we hopefully already realise, given the option of forcing installs, they will when they dispair when they cant do it the-right-way, we all have been there right?).

All in all, a very good start (and big thnx for all the huge effort!) however, to put them on the public gnome server already? Not sure if thats to smart yet ;-/

   -- Chris