Re: packaging files in CVS

On 16 Aug 2001, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> From: Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc linuxweasel com>
> Subject: Re: packaging files in CVS
>
> On 16 Aug 2001 22:00:10 +0200, Jens Finke wrote:
> > On 6 Aug 2001, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > >
> > > make prefix=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix} bindir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_bindir} \
> > >     mandir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_mandir} libdir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_libdir} \
> > >     localstatedir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{localstatedir} \
> > >     datadir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir} \
> > >     includedir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_includedir} \
> > >     sysconfdir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_sysconfdir} install
> >
> > Is there reason why we don't use the following:
> >
> > make DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT install
> >
> > AFAIK this should also work.
>
> Sounds good, but doesn't work.  Something to do with gettext being
> broken.  I -think- this is fixed IF the tarball was created on Red Hat
> 7.0 or newer, or another distribution with a fixed gettext.  Since we

Correct.

> have no control over where these tarballs will be created right now, we
> need to stick with the long, ugly, complex command that I have above.
>
> I don't specify every possible directory above, only the ones that are
> actually used in that package.  It makes the command a bit shorter, and
> makes relocations (theoretically) easier.
>
> > And another thing I asked in a previous mail but didn't get any answer
> > yet:  Why do you define the localstate variable explicitly and don't use a
> > predefined rpm one?
>
> Sorry, I must have missed that...  Dean's answer is correct, the RPM
> defined one is "wrong" for our (and ScrollKeeper's) purposes.  We
> override it so that things come out the way that we want.
> 	Greg

Concerning the gettext problem:

I found a way around this: specifying localedir and/or gnulocaledir works:

make DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT localedir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/locale \
gnulocaledir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/locale install

should do the trick.

Greetings,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout