Re: packaging files in CVS

On 16 Aug 2001 22:00:10 +0200, Jens Finke wrote:
> On 6 Aug 2001, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> >
> > make prefix=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix} bindir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_bindir} \
> >     mandir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_mandir} libdir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_libdir} \
> >     localstatedir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{localstatedir} \
> >     datadir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir} \
> >     includedir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_includedir} \
> >     sysconfdir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_sysconfdir} install
>
> Is there reason why we don't use the following:
>
> make DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT install
>
> AFAIK this should also work.

Sounds good, but doesn't work.  Something to do with gettext being
broken.  I -think- this is fixed IF the tarball was created on Red Hat
7.0 or newer, or another distribution with a fixed gettext.  Since we
have no control over where these tarballs will be created right now, we
need to stick with the long, ugly, complex command that I have above.

I don't specify every possible directory above, only the ones that are
actually used in that package.  It makes the command a bit shorter, and
makes relocations (theoretically) easier.

> And another thing I asked in a previous mail but didn't get any answer
> yet:  Why do you define the localstate variable explicitly and don't use a
> predefined rpm one?

Sorry, I must have missed that...  Dean's answer is correct, the RPM
defined one is "wrong" for our (and ScrollKeeper's) purposes.  We
override it so that things come out the way that we want.
	Greg