Re: Connect to server feature

On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 04:08, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Here goes,
>
> Mockup:
> http://www.hadess.net/files/shots/25-06-2002.1.jpg
>
> Ideas:
> 1) Completely based off Gnome-vfs (no kernel support needed)
> 2) supports:
> 	- ssh
> 	- smb
> 	- nntp
> 	- webdav
> 	- ftp
> (where's the nfs module gone ?)
>
> 3) how it works ? Tries to open the uri mentioned as a directory.
> I. Permission denied ? Ask for password. Modify the URI in consequence.
> II. Still couldn't connect ? Fail.
> III. Works, create a .desktop in the user's desktop (saving
> username/password), add it to the user's favourites (more on that
> later), and open this desktop file with nautilus.

OK, cool, I think we are going to need some way to store (for the
session) these username/passwords, Alex cried out for this on GnomeVFS
list a few days ago.

> Browse feature:
> Merely a virtual folder containing the local network neighbourhood as
> smb:/// gives us, and the user's favourites. The main problem being that
> only smb: gives us a browsing feature. That sucks, but that's life.

Is this something like "My network" (or whatever the fella is named in
MS)?

> PS: BTW, where should we put the code ? Obviously in Gnome CVS, but
> where ?

Couldn't we start a gnome-os module on gnome-cvs where we put all of our
code for now? And then we can move it into the right places when it's
ready?

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/