Re: here i come !

tis 2002-06-25 klockan 20.04 skrev Miles Lane:
> On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 10:29, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > > Does it make sense to set up an HTTP server for gnome-os?
> > > I highly doubt it, since most home users (and certainly laptop
> > > users) do not have static IP addresses, let alone DNS
> > > registrations.
> >
> > And ? Local networks are common, even for home users, and laptop users
> > would probably like to be able to preview their websites before
> > uploading it.

I think this would be a very nice feature (MacOS X has it if I'm not
mistaken). For example, I want to share this with my friends. You set it
up to run as webdav or something, then a person can go in and browse
that directory with nautilus and copy the files he wants.

Also, if you want to share a page, I know lots of people that like to
put up things on local webservers and give the temporary URL to someone.
We could even give the user a "Your pages are available at
http://X.X.X.X:8000/"; or something like that.

> Common?  Like maybe 1%?
>
> I guess I can see the web page preview thing, although I always
> just use file:///<filename>.
>
> On the other hand, for probably 95% of our users (if we are
> targeting MS customers), this would be an unused feature.

Imho we are _NOT_ targeting MS customers only. We are targeting everyone
that wants a nice desktop machine that just works. I want to use this
system for myself ( that is one of the reasons I am involved doing it ).

Let's please not assume that every user of GnomeOS is a person that just
wants to surf the web and read his email.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/