Re: Base distro + Requirements definition

On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 19:06, Miles Lane wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 09:44, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> What about the Linux Standards Base and UnitedLinux?
> Would we be able to have users load more "alien"
> packages safely if we comply with LSB?  Hopefully,
> there will be more LSB compliant distros out there
> eventually.

Well, using Debian we don't really need alien or something like that.
Since honestly, everything that exists in some of the other package
formats exists in .deb. Except some propriatory software.

> I love Red Carpet  If we do go off and tweak a
> lot of packages, we'll need a very large repository
> and an online package management client like Red Carpet.

We will have some kind of GUI tool yes, it won't be Red Carpet because
basically, it's not good enough.

We'll have our own repository which includes the packages that we ship
with. Of course a user that knows what he is doing can add the full
Debian source to his apt.sources and get all the Debian packages too.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/