Re: [Fwd: Re: here i come !]

mån 2002-06-24 klockan 14.07 skrev Bastien Nocera:
> On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 12:47, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Bastien Nocera">

> > > No, using ext2 has its uses. A journaled filesystem on a laptop is
> > > pretty bad for the batteries. And it's an easy question to ask.
> >
> > Surely then, we could choose this based on the usage pattern, rather than
> > asking the user a strange, inexplicable question. *We* know the differences
> > and benefits, but explaining that to a user who doesn't even understand the
> > concept of 'filesystems' in a short paragraph would be nigh impossible. :-)
> >
> > It's stuff like this that we need to pull our our Metacity-labelled baseball
> > bats and beat the crap out of.
>
> That depends on how you put it. MacOS gives the user the choice of
> formatting partitions in HFS, HFS+ and UFS. Do you think users know the
> difference ? Most of them don't.
>
> Here's an example description:
>
> "Please choose the type of filesystemyou wish to use. The filesystem is
> what will hold your files on your hard-drive.
>
> [X] Journalled filesystem. Discouraged for laptop users. It allows quick
> recovery in case of crashes. (<- note that it would default to the
> noatime should the user be running a laptop)
>
> [ ] Normal filesystem. Doesn't allow quick recovery, but is easier on
> laptop batteries. Desktop users shouldn't use this option.
>
> Note that you can switch the type of filesystem in use after the
> installation."

If it can be changed after installation there is no need to pester the
user with the question on installation.

Just install with ext3 on desktops and ext2 on laptops and make it
possible to change it from some nice dialog when the machine is up and
running.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/