Re: Status + Future

Hi folks,
* Bastien Nocera (hadess hadess net) wrote :
> On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 02:21, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Bastien Nocera">
> >
> > > http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/
> > >
> > > It needs i18n and a g2 port.
> >
> > Ah, snoogens. Perhaps we should do a comparison between this and the new
> > Debian installer? Do you know much about it?
>
> Nope. All I know is that PGI works now.

Ok, according to the various presentations on the subject at DebConf:
PGI is designed to enable people to build custom installers, - custom
package set, custom kernels, X only install, post-install hooks and tasks,
whatever - as opposed to _being_ an installer, like Debian-Installer (D-I).
It's much more suitable for projects like this.
The only drawback at the moment is that PGI is x86/ia64 only, but it's
designed to be extensible and a PPC port is pretty much done.
As Bastien says, it works now - i18n shouldn't be that hard to acheive,
especially with a port to g2.
Cheers,
-Thom