Re: Status + Future

<quote who="Bastien Nocera">

> http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/
>
> It needs i18n and a g2 port.

Ah, snoogens. Perhaps we should do a comparison between this and the new
Debian installer? Do you know much about it?

> > I'm more and more convinced that with some hacking, GST (once-was-XST) is
> > the Right Way to do this, despite some of its warts.
>
> Yep. My found-again Perl literacy would love this.

I'm told the first step would be to get it switched to saner (standardised)
XML parsing libs and such.

> > > - Daemon replacing magicdev/magicplug (1 part system/1 part user
> > > inside the Gnome session, system daemon creates "events" and use
> > > daemon receives them and acts upon)
> >
> > Yeah, I like this one.
>
> Idea (tm) Owen Taylor. That's what he told me the future of magicdev would
> be.

Oh, great. What's the best way for passing events from the hotplug scripts
up to user-owned proggies?

> > > - Nice default configurations for Apache, Samba (and ssh?)
> >
> > Maybe even a plan for how these are useful within the context of the
> > "GNOME-based corporate desktop". ;-)
>
> They are definitely useful in a SOHO environment. Maybe less in a larger
> corporate environment where file sharing infrastructure is already in
> place.

Yeah. Adding SOHO goals to the 'corporate desktop' ones we already have
shouldn't be too bad; many of them intersect.

- Jeff

--
   "In the pre-Internet age, I was like an Internet kid, with a 3D search
             engine, trying to find weird stuff." - John Safran