Re: Initial ideas on portals for file access

On Fri, 2015-03-13 at 13:07 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
I don't really like the word "silo" here.
True. Not sure of a better word. Application-local data?

Yeah. Or application-specific, application-exclusive, application-
owned...

Yeah, I'm not sure how to best solve that. One option is for
pitivi
have all files imported into the per-app data, like the app
silo
model.
That is kind of a large change though, and the video snippets
imported
could easily be very large.
Maybe its good enough to say
that they'd have to be given full access to the Videos
directory.

Could some apps possibly have their own directory visible inside
$HOME?

Each app gets a directory in ~/.var/app/$app-id/ where they can go
wild. This is visible to the session and to non-sandboxed apps.

Right, but it isn't visible to the user via the file browser. What
I'm suggesting (and it isn't a thoroughly thought out suggestion) is
that, say, Pitivi is able to create ~/Pitivi, where you could drop
video assets for use by the app.

This is what Cosimo's per-app XDG user dirs stuff did, except that the
main purpose was sharing directories between similar applications.

Except that this probably wouldn't solve the Pitivi case, as it might
need a soundtrack from application X, an image from application Y, and
a video from application Z. Unless we moved those files around when
sharing with the intent of moving those files (see the sharing +
received receipt earlier in the discussion).