Re: Initial ideas on portals for file access

"Alexander Larsson" <alexl redhat com> wrote:
> > I think a bigger problem might be with document types where the assets
> > aren't in the same file. For example, again with video, a Pitivi
> > project would have a project file (which you'd open), and assets in
> > the same directory.

I don't really like the word "silo" here. It has negative connotations, when per-application storage might well often be an appropriate choice. Also, it's a bit ambiguous, and implies that there's no way to get content out is the silo (which is what sharing and content selection aim to do).

> Yeah, I'm not sure how to best solve that. One option is for pitivi to
> have all files imported into the per-app data, like the app silo model.
> That is kind of a large change though, and the video snippets imported
> could easily be very large.
> Maybe its good enough to say
> that they'd have to be given full access to the Videos directory.

Could some apps possibly have their own directory visible inside $HOME?

Allan