Re: New gnome-sdk images with gnome-builder app bundle

On tor, 2015-01-15 at 10:48 +0000, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:

With regards to python, I tend to agree with you on where the line should be
drawn, even though I am not an expert on the details of its standard
library; in general I think it would be an interesting exercise to put
together a minimal build with whatever is necessary to get pygobject
running.

another argument to keep the Python dependency list small is that for
every piece of software we include in the GNOME platform we get to be
responsible for security updates.

Well, the python build would be from the one maintained by yocto, so we
buy some level of support there. Although we still have to be aware of
things there and update our base when yocto revs.

we can easily control what we create, and rely on a bunch of other
projects for lower levels of the stack, but taking on the whole of
Python's standard library may require far too many resources, unless
we choose a suitably well-maintained, slow-moving subset, which would
imply python2 instead of python3.

Is python2 interesting though? python3 seems more forward looking, and a
better match for a gtk ui (sane unicode, etc). Also i though pygobject
was python3 only, but i may be confused.

What python version is most used by people doing gtk apps in python?

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's a suicidal hunchbacked cyborg in drag. She's a warm-hearted mute
safe cracker trying to make a difference in a man's world. They fight
crime!