Setting up an ostree-based buildbot

Hello to all,

Let's kickstart one more action point from the GUADEC BoF:

  “* Testable
    - Set up a build bot (Adrián, Andrés, Frederic, Andreas)”

As mentioned in the session, we have some idling hardware [1] so
after some chite-chat yesterday with Colin, initially I will be
making a new Buildbot setup in a vServer there. I have already
deployed a CentOS 6 (to have a equivalent setup to build.gnome.org,
which is using RHEL 6) and I will be setting it up the next days.

The idea for the buildbot is for it to perform the following
for each build — watching the gnome-ostree Git repository [2]
to decide when to trigger the process:

* Build the Yocto [3] to build the bootstrap environment.

  - This won't usually have changes so most of the times will
    be a fast step.

* Build GNOME using ostbuild, as a whole.

* Run the *platform* tests — not the unit tests from individual
  components, but a set of tests that check GNOME as a whole.

  - There is an action point for defining those, for the moment
    it will be a no-op.

A failure in any of the steps would render the build as “broken”.

Note that builds would not be triggered by individual changes in each
component's repository, but by the ones in the gnome-ostree repo. We
may want do automatic commits to that when certain modules change in
the future (there is some comments about this in a thread in the
ostree list [4]).

Regards,

-Adrian

---
[1] 24-core Xeon box with 24GB RAM, and 1TB disk space which now is
    running only one WebKit buildbot slave and usually idle.
[2] http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-ostree
[3] https://live.gnome.org/OSTree/Ostbuild
[4] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/ostree-list/2012-August/msg00026.html
--
Adrian Perez <aperez igalia com> - Sent from my toaster
Igalia - Free Software Engineering