Touch & Mobile

Hi again,

Let's kick off another thread. :) Here are the action points that we
set for touch/mobile:

- Platform TODO list for touch (Bastien)
- Make the UX guidelines 'touch-friendly' (Design Team)
- List of reference touch HW (WeTab, Vivaldi, other), funding for
Touch-Box? (Bastien & Board)

Since we met in GUADEC I've gone through the touch compatibility wiki
page [1] that Bastien wrote. It seems that there are a number of small
issues that need to be resolved. However, to me, there are several
areas which are more important right now:

 * Text insertion and selection [1]
 * Scrolling [2]
 * On-screen keyboard [3]

Without these, we are dead in the water when it comes to touch.
Thankfully, there is ongoing work to address the first issue, and my
understanding is that we are on the road to supporting the second
(some clarification there would be helpful).

Things aren't so good with the on-screen keyboard. It hasn't been
touched for a while, and Caribou seems to be unmaintained. So it would
be extremely helpful f anyone wants to do some work in this area. The
bug tracker is in a fairly good state for this component [3].

Allan

[1] https://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/Selections
[2] https://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/Scrolling
[3] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=gnome-shell&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=keyboard