Re: Touch & Mobile

Hey,

On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 18:06 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 21:25 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
>
> > - Platform TODO list for touch (Bastien)
>
> During the BoF we talked about having APIs for
>
>   boolean is_there_a_keyboard ();
>   boolean is_there_a_mouse ();
>   boolean is_there_a_touchscreen ();
>   boolean is_there_multitouch ();
>
> and things like that.  Supposedly gnome-settings-daemon already figures
> these out, and communicates them somehow to gnome-shell.

And those are only communicated with gnome-shell right now. How that's
communicated depends on the existing infrastructure (is there something
we can piggy back on). I'm happy to work with the shell developers if
they're unhappy about the way that's being handled.

>   These
> parameters should be accessible to all applications so that they can
> adjust their UIs appropriately.

Absolutely not. This is something for the shell's UI, and the system
behaviour to handle. This isn't something applications should be using
to figure out how to look.

All the applications designs so far would work equally well on touch and
non-touch. If they don't, they should be fixed.

If the application wants to know whether it received the event from a
mouse or a touchscreen, the API is already in GTK+. Having a touchscreen
shouldn't be change the behaviour of the application if I'm using the
mouse, using the touchscreen might.

Cheers