Re: GUADEC, status, my plans

On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 13:02 +0100, Allan Day wrote:

> Getting more people involved in OSTree seems like a must.

Clearly =)  Often over the past year, I have wondered whether it would
have been better to fork off of Debian/OpenSUSE/Fedora or whatever so at
least some people were familiar with some of the tools.

But you know, just yesterday, I was reminded of the value behind the
admittedly barely documented monstrosity I've created.  Someone asked me
about the new GNOME Lock Screen, and I rebooted into the latest OSTree
to show them.  Then I rebooted back.

This is important because my day job will involve working on Red Hat
Enterprise Linux for the forseeable future too...and I really need to be
able to run both things "natively".

And this is all being fed by continuous integration that I barely have
to touch at all; not having to update BuildDepends and file lists in
spec files gets me out of so much tedious crap.

And of course there's the completely atomic upgrades...well I could go
on, but you guys heard the pitch =)  It's just hard to work on gross
hacks when I know I can do things *right*.

> Are there
> any standalone tasks that you know of?

Just updated:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-ostree/tree/TODO

> Is it worth setting up a
> Bugzilla product?

Probably.

> We set two action items during the BoF that we should probably discuss
> - 1) set up a build bot and 2) improve the web front end. Perhaps you
> could fill us in on what's involved there?

The TODO file talks about that.

> Sounds good. Applications are critical, obviously. That ties in with
> the application installation story, and I guess that integrating with
> that is the long-term goal. I wonder though - is there a short-term
> solution we can use to make it dog-foodable?

Building applications with jhbuild?

This reminds me to add jhbuild to the -devel image and actually try it.

But being able to use jhbuild depends on wireless networking which
depends on making /etc work, so back to hacking on
http://git.gnome.org/browse/ostree/log/?h=wip/etc-writable