Re: Plugin Unloading

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 13:39, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 01:24:14PM -0700, Bob Smith wrote:
> > Some states a plugin could be in:
> >
> > Enabled
> > Disabled
>
> I would keep these distinct from
>
> > Another set:
> >
> > Unloaded,
> > Loaded,
> > Unloading
> >
> > One more:
> >
> > Unloadable
>
> These.

Yeah. I was thinking having say, an enabled unloaded plugin or a
disabled unloading plugin.

> > Maybe we should have an Unloadable flag for glueins, or for plugins
> > that can't be unloaded once loaded (gmodule can do this, right?). But,
> > something unloadable can be hidden from the app by not being able to
> > query for it, so we still can disable them.
>
> The simple solution would be a virtual :
>     GOService::unloadable_p
> A plugin is unloadable if all of its services are.

Well, This might be good, but usually a plugin is unloadable as a whole.
Some systems can dynamically load but then cant unload a .so file. I
cant think of a specific instance of a service that cant be unloaded but
a plugin can.

> An interesting design to consider for the future is to support in
> place reloads.  This is very useful for rapid application design,
> but is probably somewhat unique to spreadsheets.  The goal being to
> allow a user to remove and reconnect a new version of a plugin
> without restarting.

This is interesting. As I understand it, you would have to use a proxy
object correct? Are you talking about reloading a plugin where the
application doesn't know the plugin was ever removed?