Re: Plugin Unloading

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 01:24:14PM -0700, Bob Smith wrote:
> Some states a plugin could be in:
>
> Enabled
> Disabled

I would keep these distinct from

> Another set:
>
> Unloaded,
> Loaded,
> Unloading
>
> One more:
>
> Unloadable

These.

> Maybe we should have an Unloadable flag for glueins, or for plugins
> that can't be unloaded once loaded (gmodule can do this, right?). But,
> something unloadable can be hidden from the app by not being able to
> query for it, so we still can disable them.

The simple solution would be a virtual :
    GOService::unloadable_p
A plugin is unloadable if all of its services are.

An interesting design to consider for the future is to support in
place reloads.  This is very useful for rapid application design,
but is probably somewhat unique to spreadsheets.  The goal being to
allow a user to remove and reconnect a new version of a plugin
without restarting.