Re: Gnome Office updates

Dom Lachowicz wrote:

I'd also like to say that I'm not in favor of an all-inclusive approach. I think that - in order to present a viable, cohesive, and coherent front - we must choose best-of-breed applications.

We should only have one of [Inkscape, Sodipodi]. We should only have one of [Evolution, Balsa, Spruce]. Etc....

There's a difference between being all-inclusive and referencing/supporting.

The 'Gnome Office' default apps should all be best of breed, but we should encourage futher development of other office applications for Gnome.

As it stands, we're viewed as a small set of apps that don't exactly fit in together as an office suite. A mess, if you will. If we start adding lots of duplicate apps, apps of (arguably) lesser quality, and apps that have marginal relation to a typical "office suite" package, all we're left with is a bigger mess.

So we should encourage better collaboration of the small set of apps, but also encourage others with an approach of "we'll help and advocate you as an office application for Gnome, but not part of the Gnome Office suite of applications."

One of the big things about Free Software is motivation. It's very easy to get started, but much hard to progress and complete software. We should take a proactive approach to keeping the development of other applications active/

- Charlie