Re: Gnome Office updates

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 06:28, Charles Goodwin wrote:
> Christian,
>
> I've lately been bugging the Gnome Office list about "re-energising" the
> Gnome Office project.
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-office-list/2003-November/msg00015.html
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-office-list/2003-November/msg00016.html
>
> To start with, I'll offer a patch to update the web page once we can
> establish exactly what stays and what goes.
>
> Should we split them up into "Official Gnome Office apps" and "Other
> Office apps for Gnome (ie exits)?
>
> Gnome Office:
> AbiWord - www.abisource.com
Solidly a part of GNOME-Office

> Conglomerate - www.conglomerate.org
> Dia - www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/
> Eye of Gnome - www.gnome.org/gnome-office/eog.shtml
Already a part of the GNOME Desktop & Developer platform

> Evolution - evolution.ximian.com

> Galeon - galeon.sf.net
Epiphany fills this spot and is a part of the GNOME Desktop & Developer
platform

> GFax - www.gnome.org/gnome-office/gfax.shtml
> Gnome-DB - www.gnome-db.org
Solidly a part of GNOME-Office

> GnuCash - www.gnucash.org
> Gnumeric - www.gnumeric.org
Solidly a part of GNOME-Office

> Planner (was MrProject) - www.imendio.com/projects/planner
Seems to be solidly a part of GNOME Office, but did not join in on the
GNOME Office 1.0 release

> Sodipodi - www.sodipodi.com and Inkscape
Seems to me Inkscape would be the most logical choice. They seem to be a
much more active group and much more likely to work together in a
cooperative effort with GNOME Office. Also they want to follow the HIG
as close as possible, and they also want to be a full featured vector
graphics editor akin to Illustrator, not just an SVG editor.

> Others:
> Agata - www.agata.org.br
> Gimp - www.gimp.org
Of course the Gimp is the best raster graphics editor on linux, but it
seems that they want to keep there relationship to GNOME fairly loose.

> Inkscape (fork of SodiPodi) - www.inkscape.org
See sodipodi above

> gLabels - glabels.sf.net
Very nifty app, but contains functionality that would hopefully be part
of AbiWord some day IMHO

> gThumb - gthumb.sf.net
Very nifty app, much like Thumbsplus and lview from the Windows world.
Similiar in ways to Ettore's pet project F-Spot:
http://perazzoli.org/blog.php
http://perazzoli.org/photo-popup.php3?image=f-spot-2003-11-17-948x638.png

> OpenOffice.org - www.mwiacek.com/gsm/gammu/gammu.html
OpenOffice... Dom hit the nail on the head.

> Sketch - sketch.sf.net
Another vector graphics editor, development seems slow.

> Toutdoux - www.toutdoux.org (dead?)
Very much dead.

Clipped from other mails:

###################################
Should Gnome Office include an instant messenger application?

The two most likely candidates would be:
Gaim - gaim.sf.net
Currently the most featureful IM client, but not real interested in
getting tight with GNOME

Gossip - gossip.imendio.org
Tight with GNOME, getting better all the time.

###################################

Passepartout, a Gtk DTP application:
http://www.stacken.kth.se/project/pptout/

Fairly new project, that shows alot of promise. Seems to need a few more
contributers to get things rolling.

##################################

I guess before you really start sifting through all the candidates for
inclusion, GNOME Office really needs to define itself, I.E what
guidelines should candidates meet to be considered for GNOME Office.
This GEP might be a good rough starting point:
http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gep/proposals/gep-10.html

Also there has to be a good feeling that apps added under the GNOME
Office umbrella will still be around in the future. It would be bad for
an app to be added and then 6 months down the road
development/maintainership come to a screeching halt.

I think one of the biggest misconceptions that some developers have
about _being_ a GNOME app or a part of GNOME/GNOME Office, is that it
requires one's application to have all sorts of dependencies on GNOME.
Of course it is nice to see people using GNOME libraries where it makes
sense, it really (is|should be) more about integration, and
consistency(the HIG/Using GTK).

If I've said anything incorrect, or just plain stupid feel free to
correct me/bitch slap me ... ;)

Cheers
-stro