Re: short minute of meeting at guadec

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 09:16:01AM +0100, Caol?n McNamara wrote:
> Surely in an ideal world converters like a escher filter and/or the other
> filters and the display engines for those filters would be seperate, to convert
> the original formats into an open intermediate format and leave the
> rendering/drawing part of them as a seperate task to a different library and
> implemented once for the intermediate format. Not doing that seperation placed
> OOo into its current situation where our legacy filters need OOo running to
> operate, and noone else can use them without significant reengineering.
True.  Ideally the split between the import/export and the
implementation would be clean.  However, the 'open intermediate
format' also requires a fair amount of work, on the scale of writing
sodipodi or dia.  Ideally that work too could be shared.

> > We need to do some research on a few things.
> > - how well zipios works
> > - how easy it is to get support for the OO header in the zip file
>
> Err, am I missing something here... what magic OO zip header ? I didn't
> think we made use of anything special.

I was under the possibly mistaken impression that there was a
specially named/formatted file used as the first entry in the zip
file.