short minute of meeting at guadec

Hello,
  I've typed some notes during our meeting at guad3c just before the
AbiWord talk.

  I hope they can be used to make a draft minute, or something close
alike. This document does not contain exact phrases and may contain
factual mistakes or misinterpretations.

  Let's get a Gnome Office.

 Hugs, rms

+ So let's do it...?
Jody, Jon, Dom, SamTh, Cuenca, Ken, ??, Hub, Andrew, Frank, Uraeus, Rui

Jody:
 - The 'office' word is very important to visibility
 - Layers that can be worked out
   We should release a gnome-office 1.0 (gnumeric 1.x, abiword 1.x, etc)
   Even if not too integrated, it will carry a lot of users.

Jon:
 - gnomeoffice has to have guppi because gnumeric and gnucash depend on it

All:
Potential Gnome Office apps:
  gnumeric
  abiword
  dia
  sodipodi
  ask around for more

Jody:
 - gtk? for a future...
 - present: advantages from using glib (unlimited undo redo, and other
            cool stuff)
 - use more shared elements (like a shared zippy file), embbeding stuff

Dom:
 - there's zippios (koffice and open office folks got really happy about it --
   we too)

Jody:
 - escher drawings... how? There's no reasonable way to do it xp.
   what canvas can be used?
 - there should be a
 - worries with open office:
      * a lot of people use it.
      * star office is charged for money, but if there's money coming, there
        going to be accounting, and an year or two from now, when sun may be
        worried for cash it could happen that they very well stop supporting it.

SamTh:
 - reasons to use gtk in other platforms: pango -- it is really good

Jody:
 - pango is planned to provide printing support (Dom: fabulous... I'd even help
   with that)
 - I will need to hack on gnome-print

SamTh:
 - talked with Keith Packard and we can solve our fonts problem by "embedding
   fonts -- rms I understood this right?"

Jody:
 - despair: if we do not share more code, when (if) oo dies, we'll have to
   climb the hill again
 - common code for undo redo, emf, wmf, plugins, etc...
 - will check zippios out
 - will clean up io abstraction