Re: Abiword & Gnome (was: Re: What is GNOME office?)

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 11:45:39PM +0200, Gediminas Paulauskas wrote:
> 2000-11-20 16:05-0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >
> > "Dom Lachowicz" <cinamod hotmail com> writes:
> > > Gnumeric uses libglade for just about all of its dialogs, though. It's
> > > really nice, but at the moment, it doesn't fit into our framework too
> > > well. Why not? We don't use gettext. Internationilization using our
> > > method + glade would *suck*.
> > >

> > You guys should really implement a cross-platform gettext-type thing. Your
> > message catalog interface is _painful_. I feel really bad for you every
> > time I see it. ;-)
>
> I am the Lithuanian translator. Though I have sent my translation before
> 0.7.11, it was not included. I do not know if it is correct translation. I
> do not want to compile the whole Abiword just to check the translation.
> There is no way to know If I have translated all the strings. I have to edit
> the code instead of just translating, as I am used to. I cannot use any
> tools for updating, testing, merging, editing, spell-checking the
> transaltions. I do not even know, if Abiword supports iso-8859-13 charset.
> Earlier it did no work with this. Now it displays @'s instead of accented
> chars.
>
> Even editing windows applications' resource files is easier, though
> distributing translations is a pain.
>
> I haven't met any other program which was so hard to translate. Although I
> know, that 0.7.12 release is approaching, most likely my translations won't
> be ready. I have easier things to do.

Well, Gediminas, I have good news for you.

1) AbiWord now supports non-latin1 encodings.  (Which it didn't
before).  In fact, it supports CJK encodings also.

2) Several people have written scripts to convert AbiWord format
translations to gettext style translations.  One set of these
scripts is already in the AbiWord tree, and the other should
be soon.  If you are curious, just post to the abiword-dev list.

3) You don't have to recompile to use the new scripts, you just
need to update whereever your current scripts are, for almost
all of the translation.  I think there's just one file that gets
compiled in.

AbiWord would love to use gettext on all of its platforms.  If
gettext is indeed portable enough, and someone writes the code,
we would gladly accept it.

If you have more questions, you can email the list, or me
personally, and someone will try to help.

	sam th
	sam uchicago edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
	GnuPG Key: