Re: Abiword & Gnome (was: Re: What is GNOME office?)

2000-11-20 16:05-0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> "Dom Lachowicz" <cinamod hotmail com> writes:
> > Gnumeric uses libglade for just about all of its dialogs, though. It's
> > really nice, but at the moment, it doesn't fit into our framework too
> > well. Why not? We don't use gettext. Internationilization using our
> > method + glade would *suck*.
> >

> You guys should really implement a cross-platform gettext-type thing. Your
> message catalog interface is _painful_. I feel really bad for you every
> time I see it. ;-)

I am the Lithuanian translator. Though I have sent my translation before
0.7.11, it was not included. I do not know if it is correct translation. I
do not want to compile the whole Abiword just to check the translation.
There is no way to know If I have translated all the strings. I have to edit
the code instead of just translating, as I am used to. I cannot use any
tools for updating, testing, merging, editing, spell-checking the
transaltions. I do not even know, if Abiword supports iso-8859-13 charset.
Earlier it did no work with this. Now it displays @'s instead of accented
chars.

Even editing windows applications' resource files is easier, though
distributing translations is a pain.

I haven't met any other program which was so hard to translate. Although I
know, that 0.7.12 release is approaching, most likely my translations won't
be ready. I have easier things to do.

--
Gediminas Paulauskas