Re: [gnome-nl] Any news on a GUADEC bid?

On za, 2009-08-01 at 00:04 +0200, Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> 2009-07-31 klockan 12:37 skrev Dave Neary:
> > I've been thinking a lot about GUADEC in the Netherlands, somewhere near
> > Amsterdam (Rotterdam, Twente or Leiden come to mind) and I think we
> > could have a *really* great conference - I already have some great ideas
> > for local keynote speakers we could invite.
> > [...]
> > I really encourage you to do it - it'll be great, great, great - and you
> > will have lots of help to make it great.
>
> I definitely agree that .nl would be a REALLY great place for Guadec. IMHO,
> especially the city of Amsterdam would be a great place:
>
> - easy to get there (Schiphol airport, buses and trains from all over .eu)
> - good transport (trains, buses, metro)
> - attractive country   (no, I don't mean drugs here. seriously.)
> - perhaps a bit expensive, but not too expensive (and a lot of choice)
> - lots of tech industry/companies
> - government/politics actively stimulates/pushes OSS

Keep in mind (this is especially important for our Latin American
friends) that Amsterdam is *much* more expensive than e.g. Rotterdam,
due to it being a tourist thing. It's pretty amazing how much money you
can leave behind as a tourist in Amsterdam.

--
Ruben Vermeersch (rubenv)
http://www.savanne.be/