Re: [gnome-nl] Any news on a GUADEC bid?

Hi Dave,

2009-07-31 klockan 12:37 skrev Dave Neary:
> I've been thinking a lot about GUADEC in the Netherlands, somewhere near
> Amsterdam (Rotterdam, Twente or Leiden come to mind) and I think we
> could have a *really* great conference - I already have some great ideas
> for local keynote speakers we could invite.
> [...]
> I really encourage you to do it - it'll be great, great, great - and you
> will have lots of help to make it great.

I definitely agree that .nl would be a REALLY great place for Guadec. IMHO,
especially the city of Amsterdam would be a great place:

- easy to get there (Schiphol airport, buses and trains from all over .eu)
- good transport (trains, buses, metro)
- attractive country   (no, I don't mean drugs here. seriously.)
- perhaps a bit expensive, but not too expensive (and a lot of choice)
- lots of tech industry/companies
- government/politics actively stimulates/pushes OSS

(Side note: Twente is not really close to Amsterdam. It's like the other
side of the country and not situated in the main urban area (Randstad) of
.nl.)

> Are you guys interested in putting in a bid?
> [...]
> What do you think?

HOWEVER, we have spoken about this with a few Gnome-NL people a while ago,
and that discussion basically boiled down to a general agreement that it
would be great, but that Gnome-NL really lacks time and people to organise
such a big event. Most Gnome-NL people have busy jobs/schedules and lack
time to really pick this idea up and get things done.

So, unless a sufficient number of volunteers step up and to some actual
work, I think our community is just too small to make this idea a reality.

Yes, it's a shame. Don't tell us --- we know. :(

    — Wouter