Re: [gnome-network]Downman

On Mër , 2003-10-29 at 09:34, Manuel Clos wrote:
> Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > am certainly somewhat low on time available to me for writing code. And
> > having someone come on to irc, and constantly annoy me asking for code
> > that doesn't do anything, doesn't magically give me more time either. If
>
> I asked you this three times o three different days. Not much time I
> tink. You don't told me "go look emphetamine because it is the same
> code". You told you didn't have five minutes to send me the code.

It was your personal assumption that I was going to be writing entirely
new code to do all this. And no, I didn't have five minutes to take from
my paid full-time job which is not working on gnome-network, to work on
gnome-network, make sure everything was happy, and run distcheck. And,
for your information, it takes more than 5 minutes to do that. I build
multiple CVS snapshots of gal, gtkhtml, libsoup, and evolution every
day, on multiple distributions. libsoup takes maybe only 5 minutes to
do. The rest takes a bit longer. Evolution takes an hour or more.

> > you want to discuss real issues with a typical transfer manager, that's
> > different. But hounding me for code that has been in CVS in at least 10
> > different instances for more than a year, is not very friendly. As for
>
> I was asking code to see what was you idea, since I failed to get answer
> to my questions both in the mailing list and irc.

Your questions were answered several times on the mailing list. You
didn't ask me anything on IRC other than "where is the code?", and I
answered you that as well.

> > what needs to be done for the transfer manager, I definitely have a good
> > idea of what that is. However, since the code I do have doesn't work on
> > a level beyond starting a bonobo daemon and sitting there doing nothing,
> > I can't tell you "work on this specific piece of code that doesn't exist
> > in this source yet" really.
>
> So you still think that doing this simple hello world bonobo daemon into
> downman won't cut development time and add lots of features.

Again you are assuming that everything is being written from scratch,
and that you are being ignored. Which is clearly not the case.

> > Hounding me to put code that basically tries to do gnome_vfs_async_xfer
> > and handles that piece of IDL and the bonobo initialization, is not at
> > all talking about problems, solutions, ideas or code.
>
> I'm still waiting on you to comment on downman, other than saying it
> does not fit, it does not use bonobo. So I will stop discussing this,
> since provides no good for anyone.

If you would have listened to what I said, then you would have seen that
I told you that some of the downman code would be used. Project merging
is not as simple as "we'll take these two projects, ignore this one, and
call it this." Both parties have to make sacrifices. You don't seem to
want to do that.

> > Sadly, from your recent e-mails about the transfer manager, and your
> > behaviour towards me on IRC, I just don't get the feeling that this is
> > true.
>
> I have asked you many times to make a plan and divide work, so I can
> start working on something. I'm still waiting you saying something I can do.
>
> So well, let's stop talking about that, comunication fails, I have tried
> to make it work so many times. Look at downman, add bonobo your code to
> it and you have a working transfer manager with lots of features. Or at
> least tell me what fails in downman.

I tried to talk to you *before* the whole gnome-network thing came up,
and get you to work together on a common manager. You refused to do any
such thing. All of your questions have been answered. You were told
several times that Emphetamine was going to be the base code. You were
sent private mail in your native language explaining exactly what was
going on. You still aren't listening to anything that is said to you,
and continue to expect that downman is the end-all perfect download
manager and will go in as it is. So, do as you wish. You are solving
nothing by continuing to behave in such a manner. The GNOME API/ABI
freeze is on December 8. The gnome-transfer-manager module will meet
this deadline. I may not have all the time in the world, and I certainly
am not being paid to work full time on it, so I may not be able to meet
up with the Manuel Clos schedule of "I want your code now." However, I
will meed the schedule that is set for GNOME 2.6, and hopefully the new
module will be able to make it into the release. If you want to actually
co-operate on the project, rather than whining about how it took someone
a few days longer to put code in CVS than you expected, or how you think
something is happening one way, when in reality it is happening in very
different ways, then by all means help. But if you are going to continue
to refuse to listen to anything that is said to you about the project,
and to try to place blame on me, or such, then please don't help, as it
is a waste of not only our time, but yours as well.

-- dobey