Re: [Totem] Browser plugin gstreamer

Dear All,

I cannot thank you enough for all your mails.  But my wife and daughter are mad about Windows and I am mad about Linux, with PC to share.  I had Ubuntu, which was gradually switched to Gnome with the help of you pepole.  Unfortunately enough, it was corrupted through repeated power cuts we usually get here (Iran), thanks to our  clever president and his geneous advisers!

Therefore, I no longer can work with Gnome OS.  Therefore I am trying to locate one of my ex students who is a Linux fan.

I just wrote these lines to thank you for now until I can find the ex student of mine.

Thank you so very much again.

Best Regards
Farrokh

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 3:51 AM, Felipe Contreras <felipe contreras gmail com> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 22:47 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> <snip>
>> No, Milosz Derezynski was the one who suggested that, possibly
>> assuming that the issue Mark saw with totem was the fact that it
>> needed too many dependencies.
>
> Depends on GTK+, gvfs and a media framework, when built that way, and
> hopefully soon just that (ie. we'll have dropped the libgnomeui
> dependency).
>
>> As a reference there is gst-simple-player which is a bare-bones
>> application I started.
>> http://freshmeat.net/projects/gst-player/
>>
>> And there's a couple of GTK+ widgets David Schleef started:
>> http://diracvideo.org/git?p=gst-gtk-widgets.git
>
> It would be smaller because it has less features :)

That's the point of being simple.

>> I believe what Mark Trompell was looking for was a simple browser
>> plugin that could use simple stuff as those above.
>
> <snip>
>> > Which mime-type would your plugin support then?
>>
>> video/x-msvideo
>> video/divx
>> video/avi
>> video/ogg
>
> For the first and the third, a lot of websites will be thinking they
> have a WMP plugin, which will then not work on those sites. And because
> of the way the more popular web browsers work, you won't be able to only
> use your plugin for the one site.

Doesn't WMP use application/x-oleobject ?

> So you'll need to either invent a new mime-type, for web developers to
> use, or mimic the expected behaviour.

According to the spec setting the URI in the data field is all that
should really be required:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#edef-OBJECT

All the other plugins are just complicating things.

> In all cases, I think the point of this discussion is moot. Totem will
> have less dependencies in the future, and it's already installed by
> default on a number of distributions.

I don't know what was the intention of Mark. But if Totem only
requires GTK+ and GStreamer probably is good enough.

Best regards.

--
Felipe Contreras