Re: Common music database?

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 23:56 +0200, Milosz Derezynski wrote:
> It's just that as long as we don't know if there is some "official"
> work going on from GNOME's side (yeah, it might end up being not
> dependent on GNOME or focused on GNOME, please let's save us this
> discussion, you know what i mean anyay), we are sort of "hanging in
> thin air", as we don't know whether we can just proceed and make up
> our own spec here, or if Dave Mccabe will bust out of his cave
> in a few weeks proclaiming that he has the standard now and then we're
> faced with 2 standards that are up against each other and have to
> be evaluated........... well i'll save my words and just say ONE word
> instead: COMMUNICATION!

Frankly, I think that trying to mandate a spec is completely
arse-backwards. For it to actually get implemented and be useful, I
think it would have to happen like this:

1) someone writes a spec (e.g. MPRIS, Dave McCabe's spec, whatever).

2) they post it here (or wherever), and developers of music player
comment on it, point out flaws, and suggest improvements.

3) several "major" music players adopt it, and so it becomes a de facto
standard.

4) since it's now a de facto standard, we realise we may as well propose
it to be an official one, at freedesktop/gnome/wherever.

Regarding MPRIS, the link you gave looks a bit confusing. Is there a
page which actually described what things like "SendStatus" and
"PlayCurrent" mean?

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
> Even when Gatso's are used soley for speed-detection, they still take
> multiple pictures, just to prove it wasn't receiving a rouge signal
Well, if there's a measurable red-shift, the driver is definitely going
too fast. -- David Taylor, James Riden, asr