Re: gnome-cd

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:

> Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 19:31:01 +0200
> From: Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje ronald bitfreak net>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: gnome-multimedia gnome org
> Subject: Re: gnome-cd
>
> hi Alan,
>
> On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 18:14 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > It means Sound Juicer is a good Ripper, but it contradicts Ronalds
> > suggestion that the popularity of Sound Juicer _as a Ripper_ implies it is
> > a good reason to remove Gnome CD Player.
> [..]
> > but please please please do not throw out
> > Gnome CD Player (baby, bathwater, etc).  As Gnome CD gets older and the
> > alternatives get better you will be able to quietly deprecate Gnome CD and
> > remove it without any fuss so there is no need to rush the process.
>
> Multiple people have suggested that, so we will likely end up doing it
> this way.

Thank you.  That much should be enough to douse any flames I think.

> This means gnome-cd will be there for at least one more series. However,
> I'd like g-v-m

huh? I suppose that must be gnome volume manager right? (acronyms!?!)

You mean you want users to be prompted to Rip CDs by default rather
than play them in Gnome CD.  Sounds fair.

Personally what I want to do most often is duplicate the CD and have a
spare copy I can bring with me and leave the original at home.  But that's
just me, and gnome doesn't have a specific tool for that right now as far
as I know.  (The microsoft approach in Windows XP of prompting you to
choose between a load of options including Rip/Play is just annoying.)

> to default to sound juicer already, at
> least if we get the TODO list finished.

Thanks again.

- Alan H.