Re: ASF encoded videos with WMV extension

Hi,

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:59:39 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>> Well, I tried this on a FC3 distribution (I think FC3 has Gnome 2.8):
>>
>> 1) Right click on a normal .wmv file, selected "Properties", then "Open
>> with" tab and added mplayer as the application used to play this type of
>> file.
>>
>> 2) Right click on a bad .wmv file (asf type with .wvm extension),
>> selected "Properties", then "Open with" tab and added mplayer as the
>> application used to play this type of file.
>
> 2.1) Right click on a .asf file, select mplayer as the player.

When I right click on a bad .wmv file (.asf type with .wvm extension),
nautilus already says in Basic tab:
Type: Microsoft ASF video
MIME type: video/x-ms-asf

Nevertheless, I did this to an real .asf file, and as I expected, mplayer
 entry was already existent and selected.
And it still does not work.

>> 3) Restart X server, just to be sure.
>>
>> 4) Still got the same message.
>
> And you shouldn't get that error message.
>
>> So, I think I got something wrong, or misunderstood some directions. Can
>> you please tell me what am I wrong ?
>
> The program handling .asf and .wmv files isn't the same.
>
> By the way, you wouldn't need to add mplayer by hand to the handlers if
> you installed it from the freshrpms.net RPM, it's added automatically.

I just reinstalled mplayer from freshrpms, restarted nautilus and I still
get the same message.