Re: multimedia and 2.2

<quote who="Jorn Baayen">

> > Do you think Rhythmbox can been feature-frozen by the end of October?
> > That doesn't mean perfect, bug-fixed, slick, etc. It just means feature
> > frozen.
>
> It depends on how picky the feature freeze is. Like, I'm fairly sure we
> could be major feature frozen by then. For example, having cd and internet
> radio in.

Dude. We already have a CD player - that'll do for 2.2. Is 'Internet Radio'
a *really* critical feature that won't make Rhythmbox worthwhile for 2.2 if
it doesn't go in?

See, if you feature freeze the coolest music player this side of iTunes for
2.2, and it gets into the Desktop release, you've got another 6 months to
hack on cool extras, such as burning, cd playing, 'net radio, soundex
matching in the tunes database, whatever.

It's okay to skip those particular features to give our users a kickarse
music player for 2.2.

> But I think we'd need some flexibility like still being able to move
> stuff around, change behaviour of things, add and remove little features
> here and there (for example album cover support, renaming files, etc).

Sure, and the best way to make sure that the polish and finishing touches
are done is to punt some of the less interesting big features to the next
version.

This is all part of the boring responsibilities of being in the Desktop
release, and I'm sure that if you're happy to do this, everyone will say,
"Oh, cool, there's a good maintainer who knows what's important" or
something pithy like that. :-)

- Jeff

--
     "On Tuesday I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with Zack and two
             ladies whom I presume are gracious." - Seth Schoen