Re: multimedia and 2.2

<quote who="Jorn Baayen">

> Seeing the current multimedia mess I think it's not feasible to have
> full multimedia included in 2.2 (1.5 months to the freeze, apaprantly).

*Feature* freeze.

> This will just result in hurries, too early API freezes and not well
> thought APIs (BonoboUI for example, sorry Michael...), immature apps
> being shipped, UI inconsistencies, etc etc. IMHO we'd be a lot more safe
> targetting 2.4, we'd have all the time to sort things out properly.

> Flame back! ;)

Sure, I will. :-)

You *can* get GStreamer, a simple media player (a ported Totem or
gst-player) and Rhythmbox in, whilst Iain can port gnome-media across to use
GStreamer, all in this timeframe. It's a sensible goal, and mostly just a
matter of hacking.

Within about two weeks we'll have The 2.2 Plan mostly together (maintainers
of 2.0.x modules are being emailed for info now), and we'll be ready for the
additional stuff such as GStreamer and Rhythmbox.

This is doable. We just have aim at the right stuff for 2.2.

- Jeff

--
   "They are, as I told Telsa, all very small cheques. Indeed our cheques
   only come in one size, otherwise cheque books would be far too hard to