Re: Gnome Video Player - WAS:Re: A baggage-free approach to gnome-media

> I find it bizarre that people are insisting that all Gnome media apps
> should use monkey-media because that throws away all the power and
> flexibility that GStreamer provides in the first place. If someone
> writes a GStreamer based video player that meets all of gnome's needs it
> doesn't matter one bit if monkey-media is sitting in the middle or not.

Agreed - in my ignorance i thought that by bypassing mm it would be
impossible to use the system-wide defaults - as long as all the apps are
working together and well integrated it doesn't matter a damn what
library they use.

Now that i think of it using mm would probably be a bad idea for a video
player.

> At the same time, if monkey-media meets someone's needs then they should
> use it to write their app.  As long as global config options are adhered
> to it shouldn't matter what helper libs the app is built with.

AOL again

> I have no problem "complicating" gst-player if it adds a feature that a
> gnome player really needs.

I agree with what was said about not adding things like playing audio cd
support to a video player, and If you are willing to add more features
then gst-player might well be "king of the hill" because it's already a
great app. I guess with dvd support(with menu navigation and chapter
browsing) i couldn't come up with a good complaint against it.

For some reason i got it into my head that gst wasn't going anywhere
/me slaps himself with a spoon

> Now that I've let off that steam I can say that there will be a basic
> playlist added to gst-player, but it will not be visible in the nautilus
> view since the view should only ever be invoked on single files.

That sounds really cool */me imagines the playlist magically morphing
into a chapter list when a dvd is played* ;)

--

	 .--= [ MArk Finlay - finlaymATeircomDOTnet ] =--.

	  [ sisob: irc.gnome.org www.gnomedesktop.org ]
		[ MArk: www.gnomesupport.org ]